Thread: Screw and Barrel Maintenance

Screw and Barrel Maintenance

So I'm a small part molder that just took a job working with larger machines around 1600 tons. In the small world screw and barrel maintenance was much easier. We could use bore mic's for the barrels and we could just mic the screw. My problem now is I am not sure if the same tools and methods will work because the components are much larger. Can anyone give me advice on a good preventive maintenance procedure to keep records on screw and barrel wear for these larger presses.

Re: Screw and Barrel Maintenance

Apply what you learned in "the small world", but on a bigger scale! Remember tolerances will be larger,though percentages may not necessarily be.
    Lots of maintenance depends it you run aggressive or abrasive resins!

KOM
    brent

Re: Screw and Barrel Maintenance

Thanks Brent,

I've been thinking about it and am starting to feel lik the amount of work that will be needed to put a preventive maintenance plan in place and actually keep up with it would be tough for us. I'm starting to look into companies that offer this as a service. Found a place in Michigan that does it but if you or anyone else has experience working with a company that offers this type of service I would be interested in hearing about them.