Thread: Guidelines for Clamp Size by Mold Size/Weight

Guidelines for Clamp Size by Mold Size/Weight

Does anyone out there know if there are guidelines or a calculation for how large your clamps need to be specific by mold size/weight? We are looking to reduce our 6" clamps to 4" clamps due to addition of a frame removal roller system but want to make sure we are okay to reduce to the 4" clamps safely.

TIA!

Re: Guidelines for Clamp Size by Mold Size/Weight

Hi,

I have never seen any clamp calculations. I can't imagine that the 4" clamps are so thin/flimsy that they bend/distort, but it's possible. I have never seen a properly installed clamp be an issue at any length. Hope that helps...

Joel

Re: Guidelines for Clamp Size by Mold Size/Weight

Quote Originally Posted by CoppertoneMan View Post
    Does anyone out there know if there are guidelines or a calculation for how large your clamps need to be specific by mold size/weight? We are looking to reduce our 6" clamps to 4" clamps due to addition of a frame removal roller system but want to make sure we are okay to reduce to the 4" clamps safely.

TIA!
    Hi Coppertoneman,

Not sure of any type of calculation on clamps to use but as I understood it depends on size of bolt you are using!
    If the bolt is same size you used previously, ideally getting it as close to the mold as possible when you clamp it you should be just fine.

Would be ideal to use 3 clamps on each side of mold half - so if one fails you won't be in trouble
    Also recommend forged clamps because I've heard of machined clamps failing (believed to be from internal stress after machining) Though some may disagree on this

Cheers!