Thread: Babyplast Alternatives for micro molding?

Question Babyplast Alternatives for micro molding?

I am aware of the following mini machines:

Babyplast 610 - max 0.5 oz shot size, no water used
    Boy xxs/xs - max 0.33 oz shot size
    Nissei 7 ton (out of production)
    Sumitomo 7 ton, max 0.2 oz shot size

I know Battenfield and Sodic make expensive micromachines. Who else is out there comparable to Babyplast for production grade machines, preferably 0.5 oz shot size or higher?

Re: Babyplast Alternatives for micro molding?

Relating one such case to PlasticsToday at the recent Interplas show in Bangkok, Thailand, Lily Lee, Business Development Manager at Formative Tech noted that the 6-tonne Babyplast 6/10p micromolding press consumed just one-sixteenth of the energy used by a 50-tonne all-electric press. Further, the 6/10p molded the 0.053-g PBT parts in a 32-cavity tool versus 16-cavity for the 50-tonne all-electric in a cycle time of 12 seconds versus 15 seconds. "While the runner weight is higher for the micro-molder, we were able to save $3,290 on a run of 500,000 parts," notes Lee. "The 500,000 parts were produced in just over 50 hours versus just over 130 hours for the 50-tonne all-electric," she adds. "The reject rate is only around 0.4%, which is much less than you'd expect for a standard machine molding very small parts.
    https://www.plasticstoday.com/conten...16692790020840

There was a company out of Chigago that came up with a very inexpensive unit. I saw their article in Plastics News. I did a quick search and did not find it. I would suggest you try to google it. It was also electric I believe. It is not one of the known big brands.
    -Suhas

Quote Originally Posted by Suhas View Post
    There was a company out of Chigago that came up with a very inexpensive unit. I saw their article in Plastics News. I did a quick search and did not find it. I would suggest you try to google it. It was also electric I believe. It is not one of the known big brands.
    -Suhas
    Suhas,
    Thanks for your help. Was it this machine?
    https://www.apsx.com/APSX-PIM-Deskto...hine-s/110.htm

Does it look production grade to you? My volumes are ~100k/ea but I have 10 different parts. If it can handle abuse I can buy 4 of them for the price of one babyplast. It seems a bit slow on youtube: