Thread: Cylinder tonnage

Cylinder tonnage

Hello all, I'm having a massive brain malfunction and am having problems calculating the tonnage for a cylinder shaped part (think a cup). It's 2mm thick, 250mm tall, and about 130mm in diameter (my kind of "beverage" cup!). I calculated the area (if it was a solid cylinder) and then subtracted the area of the core but it just seems too low. Any tips?

Also, I'm browsing the forum right now looking for similar questions but just haven't stumbled upon it yet.

Thank you!

MM

Re: Cylinder tonnage

I spoke a bit too soon. I did find a thread here "Injection Molding Clampage" that had a link to a ptonline article that explained a bit more. It still seems low but I will keep digging into it!

Re: Cylinder tonnage

The way I was taught to estimate it was to look at the projected area of the part including runner. Then multiply the area times the corresponding tonnage per square inch needed. Each material has a different value and it is just an estimate. Actual tonnage needed is determined by the mold and process. Some of the material manufacturers will list the recommended tonnage on their processing guides.