Thread: Need help understanding what is plasticising stroke

Need help understanding what is plasticising stroke

I'm a engineering student currently studying about plastic moulding machines. There's an assignment where I have to explain how is the plasticising stroke determined. The actual question given is, "Explain the procedure to determine the plasticising stroke for MicroPower injection moulding machining."

I haven't learn what is plasticising stroke, the teacher wants me to find out myself, but I can't find resources just by Googling. So, I made a forum account here just to asked for help.

I want to know what is plasticising stroke and how is it determined.

Re: Need help understanding what is plasticising stroke

Hi
    Volume of shot (Parts + Runner) = Volume of cylinder. You know the dia of the cylinder = screw size. Now you can calculate the shot size also called as the plasticating stroke.
    Regards,
    Suhas

Sounds like you're running a new battenfeld micromolder. Those machines are different than others because they utilize a different style if injection unit. I believe your question can only be answered by someone with experience running those machines

If I am understanding the Battenfeld machine right it is a "shot pot" machine where the screw stays stationary (where a normal machine will have the screw move back while collecting a shot) and it feeds another barrel called a "shot pot" or "plunger". Either way, the calculation will be the same as Suhas has pointed out above. If you know your shot volume and the volume of the "shot pot" then you are all set.