Thread: Process Capability

Process Capability

What key data do you collect to prove capability? Not just Molding Process, but entire process from material readiness to proper packaging.

Not speaking of how to do a "Capability Study", but looking for pointers on developing a metric for new product launch. What recordables make the most sense to track without making it too complicated.

We are a very custom injection molder with an average of 90+ new parts per year and inevitably projects get launched to production that still need work, this is most often due to time to market constraints that our core customer's have. We need to improve this for sure, but cannot do it by quoting extra lead time to the tool build and qualification process.

Re: Process Capability

Joe,
    I’ve seen a scorecard for such launches somewhere in the past. Let me see if I can find a copy and share that info.
    BTW we sometimes launch parts and if we are not happy with the first sampling ; we go back and perform the DOE as should always be the case. Our customers aren’t very patient either !!
    Rick

Re: Process Capability

Hi Joe,
    Not trying to get away from the question but I think this would depend from part to part and customer to customer. I have one who makes handles for a product. No dimensions and only has to 'look good'. He thinks my customer (molder) is the best molder in the world. But then a medical company audited and they flunked the audit.
    I know I did not answer your question but wanted to give my two cents.
    Regards,
    Suhas