We recently had a new manifold built for an existing tool. During the startup of this new manifold we had issues with stringing from the drop to the back end of the runner, picture attached.

The nub that sticks out of the runner is for the grippers on the robot to pick it out of the mold.

After discussing with the manifold manufacturer, they referenced back to our previous obsolete manifold and said that all items were identical, just with the new style due to their components becoming obsolete.

They verified that the tips for each drop were 2 mm diameter orifice on both the new and the old manifolds. After digging up a little more, it appears that historically there have been stringing issues with these tools since they were made. If I was here prior to this project kicking off, I would have recommended valve gates to eliminate this issue, but it is too late now for that.

Now what I did notice is that the nub that the gripper grabs, and the tip diameter are the same at 2 mm. Now my thinking is that the tip diameter should be smaller than that of the diameter of the "nub" in order for it to solidify more efficiently in that area, and then stop the stringing, is my thinking down the right path, could we potentially eliminate this issue by putting a smaller diameter tip in the tool?