Thread: Venting Question

Venting Question

Hi guys,

I read that vents should be located on the movable half of the mold, but cannot understand why... Why not on the stationary side?

Robert

Re: venting question

I say put them on either side just as long as they're there, polished so they're self cleaning, and properly sized dumping out to atmosphere.
    Rick.

Hi Robert,
    Yes, sometimes, one cannot add vents on one side of the mold, not necessarily on the moveable or stationary. Consider that you are molding a cup with a wall thickness of 0.100". The moveable side is where the part is going to end up. the outside of the part is molded from the stationary side. Now if you want to put vents, then it will be difficult to find the start of the vents on the moving side - but the stationary side, it will be much easier to start the vents right at the end of cavity wall. Not sure if I am clear but give that a thought.
    So there is no rule, just depends on the part and mold design. And as Rick says above - 'put them on either side just as long as they're there, polished so they're self cleaning, and properly sized dumping out to atmosphere' - Absolutely agree.
    Regards,
    Suhas

Great, thank you!