Thread: Adding wood shavings to transparent polymer ?

Adding wood shavings to transparent polymer ?

Hello guys, we're a California startup going through the sampling process and currently having some troubles with our manufacturer. We are trying to mix tiny wood shavings with a transparent polymer so you can see the flakes suspended inside. However, we have been told that a lot of factories are worried about ruining their machines, the wood might not be able to handle the heat, etc. So, our current factory tried a cold process that resulted in a ton of air bubbles(see image below). Can anyone please please please send some recommendations of a cost efficient ways/processes to possibly get better results? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails handle1.jpg  

Re: Adding wood shavings to transparent polymer ?

Hellow Chops,

I've seen extrusion process with wood shavings in my university and I believe the investigation went on the TV news here. I know they were investigating the injecion molding process/mechanical properties with wood-plastic composites too. If you want I can send you the paper, just give me your email.
    BR.
    Paolo

I think the part is too think to allow you to pack out air bubbles but they may be formed due to too little packing pressure/sink bubbles. The only way to know is to heat plastic and if they pop, trapped air. If not the molten resin fills the hole.
    To mold this you need a weight blender setup for such particles and a wear hardened screw and barrel. I also think tge compression ratio will need to be lower than a standard IM to protect the wood chips.
    BTW what is the resin? The resin may not be properly dried or processed.
    Rick

I wonder if the air bubbles could be from the wood? I would imagine if it wasn't dried along with the resin it could hold a ton of moisture in it. Are you drying the wood chips also?

Thanks for the help guys, we're gonna relay this advice to our factory to see what can be done. What do you guys think about vacuum casting??