Thread: Mixed Plastic Injection

Mixed Plastic Injection

Hello All

I am trying to get some feed back from you experts in this field of plastic injection.

I am with a company that has a Electrical wire granultor and we have large volumes of mixed plastic pellets.

The material type is hard to identify but i was wondering if any one has any idea if we could use this material with injectors or anything.

please see attached photos ?

Brandon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170316_121123.jpg   20170316_121507.jpg  

Re: Mixed Plastic Injection

Not something we could use where I work, but who know if others could. The issues I could see is that to injection mold it you will need to know what type of material it is and for sure know that no wire was in the pellets. Metal bits and an injection molding machines barrel/screw/screw tip don't get along. Plus metal can damage molds, gate, and hot tips.

Hello Brandon,
    This is a difficult task. You may be able to identify them this time but what about the next run. Also identification is expensive.
    Suhas

If i have a avenue for the mixed plastic i will be washing the plastic first so there is not metal residue

identifying the plastic types is near impossible.. unless there is a magic trick for sorting/identifying it

we are currently throwing 30-40 tons a month of this plastic into landfills i just believe there is nothing we can do with it its a real shame and very hard on our environment.

I have heard that such plastic could be used as filler for ....I want to say roofing tiles..... not sure now..... I heard this 5-10 years ago. It makes sense not to put it in a landfill if you don't have to .... we, as molders, can't make good use of it, but I think if you look elsewhere, somebody would like it, maybe even purchase it, as a filler to reduce their material costs.

Joel

I believe there are companies that use scrap plastic to make things like park benches. Don't know if it has to be a certain type. That's one avenue to check out.