Thread: Thermolater issue

Thermolater issue

Greetings;

I've been working at another company to help with some maintenance issues and have an issue with a thermolater that has me and the manufacturer stumped.

The unit when set at 180 Deg F and the valves are opened to the mold it only reaches about 110 and then goes back down to 90 (or so).With the valves closed to the mold the temp rises and over heats.
    This unit has been in use on the machine for a year or more with 0 issues. It's a Temptek VT-275 and it's acting like it's undersized. The heaters are drawing 11.6-11.8 amps on all three legs when calling for heat, and each heater (6) ohm'd out 34.6-35.6.
    Cleaned cooling valve out, found piece of crap but still had issue after reassembly.

Thought I'd share this issue for some input. The tech support has no ideas other than the H2O lines are causing it, I excluded the mold and ran thru a jumper with the same results.

Thanks

Scott

Re: Thermolater issue

Close the drain line off and see if it heats up then crack open the drain line. I think the valve is not shutting completely off and the units getting cool water into it all the time. Lastly confirm rotation and water supply and drain are correct. Is this unit connected to chill or tower water? It could be an issue with the PID tuning. Can you dump the memory and load OE settings back into the controller?

Rick.

hi,

sounds like the purge valve is stack open. have you check or replace the purge valve?

Greetings;

Well, The thermolator has been on that machine for "years" and I guess that for "years" the motor has been running backwards, Yes for "years. I double checked with the manual and phased it to run forwards. All that to find that the cleaned cooling valve is still AFU and needs to be rebuilt. SMC does not make that valve anymore or the kit, so I am going to get an asco valve to replace it with.

Man the amount of dust that came out of the motor when it was running clockwise was amazing and makes me wonder how many other motors are running backwards.

Thanks all for your input.

Scott

Scott,
    Wait until you check your steel temps again and see how much lower they become. While centrifugal pumps do work backwards the volume is way better when running the correct rotation. Glad to help! Plus the Asco is a MUCH better valve.
    Rick.