Thread: woman in Molding activities

woman in Molding activities

Hi Guys

I want to ask you, If you have lady's doing activities as technicians, (change molds, parameter adjustments, barrel cleaning etc..)

I use to work with a old woman that was kind of technician, but only seen 1 time ,

How about you?, dis you have a molding lady as technician in your facilities?

Currently Im training one engineering lady, teaching all basics, not to be technician, but to learn all the process and if its possible to start to processing basic and easy tools, as basic knowledge

Best regards

Re: woman in Molding activities

Absolutely Josue! I have trained one girl who turned out to be the best! Yes, they may not be able to get some heavy work done, but they are as good. Please train her without any inhibitions.
    Suhas

Hello,

I'm a female manufacturing engineer in charge of the molding operations at my company. We just started molding and are still setting up our first machine. I have been in charge of everything from bringing in the press, to setting up the auxiliary equipment (ie. chiller and temperature control unit), to assembling hoses and fittings. I do all of the mold and machine maintenance and I'm currently working on figuring out the right process parameters for my mold. If you were wondering if there are any women in molding, we do exist. I've only started molding recently, but in my short time I've actually encountered one other female engineer in molding.

I've seen one that was trying to be a mold setter but in that plant like most, you had to clamp molds into the press. She didn't make it but most of that was self inflicted. Years ago I worked in a shop that had the plant broken down into three smaller sections and a PE over each one. I trained all my operators to restart and do minor processing. We kicked their butts so bad they thought I was cheating the system. They moved me over another section and in 9 months it was the same again!
    I do think women are better because of their patience versus most guys. A guy wants to make a change (read big hammer) and go sit down or chew the fat. A woman will make smaller changes and usually wait for the press to settle before making another.
    Rick

I’ve worked with a few female process/manufacturing engineers, some of them very, very good. Of the five process engineers at my current work, the one with the most plastics education (graduate of and PhD student at Lowell) is female. I’ve only worked with one female process tech, but her processing skills were up to snuff and she wasn’t afraid of a torque wrench. In this day & age, suitability for a job should depend on aptitude and attitude, not which locker room a person uses.

Victoria, Wish you all the best.
    Good comments guys. I think the comment about the patience above takes the cake! Fully agreed.
    I sometimes wish we guys had as much patience.
    Suhas