Thread: What process? (clear lens with metal inserts)

Question What process? (clear lens with metal inserts)

Hi all,

I'm new here and this is my first thread.
    I don't have molding experience but I am trying to find a process for molding an optically clear PC or PMMA lens with metal inserts. The objective is to achieve a flush surface with aesthetic seamless joints between metal inserts and the plastic lens which will be back-lit. The main issue is that I can't imagine how the small metal islands are kept in place (see attached image - example found on internet).
    Does anyone have experience in this kind of application? Can anyone describe the process?
    Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front.jpg   Back.jpg  

Re: What process? (clear lens with metal inserts)

Insert injection molded: the metal could be insert into a mold then the resin injected into the cavity afterward. That usually requires clean inserts (no forming or hand oils) and at least a person to insert them. You might could mold the plastic then either heat the metal to allow expansion for pressing them together or use heat/ultrasonic welding to push the plastic into the metal. This is not easy and experts fight these issues from design to end of production due to stack of tolerances and typical production issues.
    Rick n