Thread: Packaging of Material

Packaging of Material

I have 4 different material and receive the materials with 25kg bags for now. (ABS, MABS, PP )
    I want to switch to 1 ton delivery to reduce handling. and I would like to know advantages & disadvantages of packaging types of materials to be delivered. Especially relation with moisture.
    Regarding PP, I switched to Octabin from 25kg bags but I had moisture issue probably occured during shipping.

Any recommendation ?
    Thank you

Re: Packaging of Material

Yes, moisture will be your main concern. If they are hygroscopic and are currently coming in moisture sealed bags, you should not go to the bigger containers. Contamination in your company can be another problem. If your material handlers are not disciplined, then that could be an issue.
    By the way, PP by itself is not moisture absorbing. But if has an additive that absorbs moisture then you will need to dry it.
    Regards,
    Suhas

Im agree with Suhas,, you could save with Gaylords, however the lost could be big if your material handles or technician doesnt care about dry time and temperatures, and comfirm the humidity test, etc...

by our side we manage the PP on gaylors, 1500lbs, becasue the humidity is not an issue with this resin,,, but other resins as PBT, POM,, and others come by bags

BR.

If you are already drying the resins that require it, you should see no issues and you'll change boxes less than the number of bags you have to handle and open. Other than draining a press for change over, you should have fewer issues with contamination.
    Rick.

Thanks for the answer,
    Currently, I have problem with non-hygroscopic material (PP) coming with octabin. Condensation during shipping may cause this ? But if it were, i think that would only be upper layer of octabin not everywhere.

Regarding ABS, Suhas said sealed bags are better. I also have heard big bags of which inside is covered with an aluminium layer.

we also receive some PA resin on gaylords but with a sealed bag (looks like aluminum bag), so far no problems

At times some filled PP and some with certain additive packages will tell you to dry their resins. As far as the PP goes you could use a small desiccant drier to remove the moisture. While at one Tier 1 Automotive molder, we dried ALL resins except the soft ones. That was their standard.
    Rick