Thread: overmolding TPO and PVC... ???

overmolding TPO and PVC... ???

I've done much overmolding in my time, but I have a strange request for a promotional product for a new customer. We have been molding a "roof scupper" for them in TPO (I'll update this thread with the grade tomorrow...can't remember at the moment). Well, they want to make a TPO chip with a flexible PVC ring to demonstrate the materials they use. Now, I know I can mold the chip with anchors for the overmold, but I haven't been able to find any compatibly charts for TPO - fPVC (not that it really matters, its not a functional part). Has anyone overmolded these two?

Thanks,

P.J.

Re: overmolding TPO and PVC... ???

I doubt you can get those two resins to even bond mechanically. Why the PVC? Try another resin and you should be able to get what they want. Rick.

Agreed with Rick. Does it have to be these materials? You may be able to get something similar with another material.
    On another thought, can you somehow modify or 'damage' the surface and create a mechanical bond?
    Suhas

This is a promotional part for a company that makes roof supplies. They wanted to show the two materials that the roof scuppers are made of. If we do make these chips we will have anchor holes around the edge of the TPO chip to hold the PVC Ring.