Thread: flow rate meters in TCU

flow rate meters in TCU

Hi,

In my limited experiences with molding, it seems the cooling water flow rate can be a very important process parameter. A blockage in a cooling line, or a weak/defective pump, can significantly affect the rate of heat removal in a mold and royally screw up dimensions and other stuff.

So why don't any of the TCU's I've ever come across have a flow meter built into them? Wouldn't it be a good idea to read and monitor flow rate just as you read and monitor the water temperature? Instead we seem to drag out the flow rate meter when its time to do some troubleshooting/firefighting, usually because we have already shipped bad parts.

Do they exist, and I just have never seen one? Should we put a bug in some peoples ears to develop & market one?

-Mike

Re: flow rate meters in TCU

Good Point MW,
    I think that a flow meter there will be a good idea, however one will not be able to see what the individual flow rate is through each of the lines. It is important to know that and that is why may be they have left it off.
    Regards,
    Suhas

They have had "Burger Type" for years on presses and mounted on the manifolds.
    There also "flow indicators" which are multiple graduated tubes with brass "floating indicators" The tubes get dirty and unreadable. Buy form Molder's Choice,PPE,or IMS

KOM

brent
    Last edited by brentb; 17th July 2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: clarification

The issue with flow meters is trying to go from low heat to high heat molds. I don't care what brand it is; jump from 65°F chill water to 150°F hot water for a nylon part and watch the unit start warping and spraying water! I love seeing the flow in each section of a mold, but its too easy to kill them by not letting the water temp cool or warm slightly between molds.
    Rick.