Thread: downtime monitor and purge program

downtime monitor and purge program

All,
    I am running a 200 ton Engel 700 series vertical molding press. I am seeking a downtime monitor that requires a purging sequence to occur prior to allowing restart of press.
    Let me give you some background: We have had several customer complaints for grainy parts on an 8 cavity insert molded tool. The problem occurs when press sits idle for several minutes, and is then restarted without a thorough purge beforehand. I am looking for a programmable timer which would not allow restart without first seeing 2-3 purges.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

THX, B4M
    back4more

Re: downtime monitor and purge program

On most Engels, you can set it to reject a certain number of parts on start up after sitting idle for a given amount of time. You can also set a start up switch over setting and the press will run the hold timer but not apply the psi. It it's a CC200, you can set the same things with a percentage of hold psi. I imagine on a CC200 you could build that sequence.
    Other than that I don't know how the timer would know you purged the press. Maybe a PLC with some programming and breaking the clamp close signal until the sequence is satisfied.
    Rick.

Agreed with Rick. the only issue I have is that the tech are sometimes 'smarty pants' They know how to bypass all this.
    My advice to make this 'more' fool proof other than adding what Rick says is to have a reversible conveyor. When the machine goes into manual and restarts you can set the number of shots after which the conveyor will move forwards. We had oe on every press.
    Hope this helps.
    Suhas

Sounds like an insert job without robot, probably no conveyor and run semi-auto. We have a similar situation. You have to rely on discipline, can't totally fool proof everything!

KOM

brent

[QUOTE=brentb;2025]Sounds like an insert job without robot, probably no conveyor and run semi-auto. We have a similar situation. You have to rely on discipline, can't totally fool proof everything!

KOM

brent You got it. Totally dependent on the whims of the operator and the integrity of tech.
    back4more