Thread: Micro Parts

Micro Parts

How would you validate the process for micro-molded parts?

Keep on Molding!

brent

I think most of the "Scientific Molding" principles go out of the window especially if you are using some of the exotic medical resins that cost $2200 a lb!!! Good question though. I look forward to replies.

PJ is right with a minor correction. Most of the Scientific Molding principles are mostly valid but the procedures go out of the window. For example, there will be gate seal but we probably do not have the accuracy of say ..... steps of 0.1 seconds to measure the part weight variation of 0.0001 grams consistently. Consistently is the key word here. So it is a little difficult.
    Why do we do a validation? - to make parts to spec consistently and to find the extent of the dimensional process windows. So to answer the Q about validation, I would first list the various factors that in your experience have made an impact on the quality of the part. Example - Mold , Machine, Molding parameters, etc. Then come up with your own procedure and DOE steps to perform a validation.
    Going back to PJ's comment -
    Step 1: Viscosity Study is out
    Step 2: Cavity balance - Can be done
    Step 3: Pressure drop is probably out
    Step 4: Process Window - can be done
    Step 5: Gate Seal is probably out
    Step 6: Cooling study is also probably out (since I think cooling time probably does not have much of an impact)
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

Suhas

Yes, I stand corrected. I did mean the procedures, especially when using really expensive material.

Re: Micro Parts

I am not sure but i guess there is a method of validating the process for micro molded parts. However, I have not done it yet.
    Last edited by symphony; 30th January 2013 at 09:30 AM.