Thread: LOTO on IMM during change overs?

LOTO on IMM during change overs?

We were recently audited by MIOSHA and their policy reads that while doing mold change overs the press doors need to be locked out. I see this being needed on large machines where a person may need to be inside the press, however we have presses smaller than 300 tons and the person doing the change over must reach through a door opening to remove clamps, K O bars, etc. We are being fined and we must put locking mechanisms on our doors to use the LOTO procedure. Has anyone else experience this? Has anyone challenged this? We are all about workers safety, I just do not see the point of locking out the door.

Thanks for any input.

Re: LOTO on IMM during change overs?

K,
    never heard of such a rule, but since you are in the UP who knows what crazy rules your dealing with. does arburg make such a lock? if I were you, I would just conform, and maybe go skiing or fishing with bake on gogo.

As I understood from " locked out", you mean machine doors must be opened and not be able to close during mold changeover.

We also spend intensive effort on machine safety of injection molding machines and safety analysis of machine sometimes take 5 days (one by one analysis of all drawings).

I am not expert but I know EN201 standard says, when there is someone inside the machine working with mould change or ejector plate, if the operator on control panel is not able to see the guy working (this is generally when the machine is bigger than 500ton) there must be reset button in this area or door must be unable to close from inside.

In small tonnage machines, this invisible area is generally behind the movable platen for ejector mounting. And some manufacturers have the weight sensor option for mould area after 800ton.

I have more detail and pictures defining some examples. If I understood you right and if you need more information please ask.

HI,
    I asked the same question in similar thread.
    U have to split this: 1/ machine has to be equiped by safety equipement for CE conformity. (Each normal machine is OK)
    2/ locking of the doors IS NOT LOTO !!!!!

I soved this issue by using a LOTO locks for locking of the doors. This is probably one good solution, but as I sad. this is NOT Lock-Out procedure !!!!