Thread: Few questions

Few questions

1). What does everyone use for pin lube? I was using IMS pin lube, but I was wondering if there's anything that I could get at the local Lowes (or Home Depot) that's equal to IMS'.

2). I've heard some people talk about different ideas for barrel/screw cleaning. I've been told people use Tide and some even use plexiglass. Anyone want to explain what your process of doing it is?

Re: Few questions

Hi Molding PPM,
    Quick Answers
    1. Good Question but I would still suggest you go with the IMS or PPE lubes since these are designed for molding. Don't know what the long term effects will be. Besides what would you use from the local store?
    2. Yes, plexiglass, acrylic is commonly used because they are 'hard' and they help to clean out. Tide?? never heard of that.
    Suhas

Lubriplate can be used but only for a short time. The IMM process is very demanding and will not tolerate sub-par lubricants.
    I've used Tide powder; works in the press and great for oil and grease on floor. I have also used acrylic strips cut from scrap windows as it is extruded and of a higher molecular weight. Still these are stop gap measures and you need the right stuff. I've also used Bon Ami in the screw, oven cleaner on POM molds to remove the build ups, and my favorite polish is Wenol.
    Rick.

Can't find the old Tide powder anymore and those pouches that toddlers confuse with candy probably don't work. Coca Cola Classic works well and smells like you are cooking taffy. The windows or cracked cast acrylic is for TOUGH situations and not for hot runners (in my experience)
    I like Dyna Purge and have 3 grades M for regular. P for hot runner and low temp resins and E2 for hi temp resins.

Yes use PPE mold grease and medical grade Molder's Choice has a hi temp grease for hot molds be they water,oil or cartridge heat. It has PTFE from what I know.

Don't go cheap on grease or purge, they are a small part of the budget and can save thousands of dollars. Cut the bean counter's pay instead.

Keep on Molding!

brent

U