Thread: Worst part molded

Wink Worst part molded

Don't care if its mold, mold design, tolerances, material, or if its just the customer. ( You know the one that wants the part in plastic with properties of steel, or tell you set the mach on low-med-high :^| lol how about broil.)

Re: Worst part molded

A customer got me a part being molded elsewhere, got me the resin and asked me to mold it the same as the other guy. Worked on it about 18 hours a day for 4 days changing process, machine, screw and barrel, etc, etc to find out that he had shipped us the wrong material !!!! It was very frustrating!
    Suhas

An acetal job that stuck to the mold like crazy, and no one had robots back then. So you had to have an operator remove by hand. What a dog!!
    Rick.

I've been running a PVC job for about 5 years now. Complete pain in the ass. If I could choose not to run PVC ever again, I would.

worst tool i have ever seen was a 39t stacker mould, the hot runner setup was so complicated it looked like a 6yr old had designed it. it never worked, couldnt make a good part to save its life, in the end we had 2 tools built to replace it. Even now it makes me angry thinking about it. A close second was a set of tools running 30% glass filled abs/pc, the material went off in the hot runner if the machine stopped for 1 minute. we had to start up and shut down the tools using natural abs to get the tools to run. there are many others, but thats another story.

Not sure this is the 'worst' but once I was asked to come in a do a new mold validation. Went there to find out the mold had NO water lines. It was sort of a 3/4 inch long tube closed on one end - eight cavity cold runner. Now what do I do??? I was told the old mold needed to be shut down every 4-5 hours. Robust processing? - out of the window, into a deep well I guess.
    Suhas

Saw a company buy a mold and press for a project, and the mold was too big for the press!
    Saw same company buy a press with big enough platens , but shot size was too small
    Guy doing buying was owner's son (now the owner). He learned though.

If someone asks me about the world's greatest Molder, I will retell the story!

KOM
    brent

I justed started with a company who makes all their molds run bad, inadequate equipment, electrical issues, buying reprocessed material, no mould maintenance, one maintenance guy for 24/7 operation and 25 machines, water restricted flow and temp agency operators, 1 set up tech and 1 material handler 12 hour continental shifts ! Beat that ... lol