Hello all,
I have a mold 16 cavities, ~160g shot size on a 380t machine. It's running general purpose PP, my machine is closed to its maximum injection pressure and speed during FILL and sometimes trip the servo's internal maximum power limit resulting in machine unexpected downtime etc..
During my discussion with the vendor's technician, I asked him if there was any gain to move the mold to a bigger machine (from 380t to 450t), barrel size would move from 60mm to 70mm diameter, available hydraulic pressure and screw linear speed remain the same from my understanding. His reply was that it would yield similar situation, but a potential solution would be the opposite idea and to downsize my barrel from 60mm to 50mm. The maximum injection pressure available would be higher but the FILL phase will be slightly slower (as I am keeping the same hydraulic unit).

Since I have limited experience on that, I am a little bit on the fence.

Would filling slower (matching cc/s speed on a smaller barrel), then checking the process capability to produce good parts and noting down the hydraulic pressure reach give me a similar result?
Basically in other words, going a size smaller on the barrel equals to shoot at a lower speed while giving the machine some breathing room in terms of maximum injection pressure.
Am I right?
Thanks for anyone who chime in.