Thread: Flexing a living hinge

Flexing a living hinge

Have a part that has a short-term living hinge. The customer is insistent that the hinge be flexed post ejection. My plan is to have an EOAT built that can flex the hinge prior to placement on conveyor. Does anyone have an idea on the min. degree of flexing that would still be effective. The hinge will only see 2-3 flexes at the most during assembly, but as mentioned customer is insisting on flexing.

Re: Flexing a living hinge

In the past I did this, not on the EOAT, though there's nothing wrong with that approach; but, with two pieces of aluminum on a bracket mounted across the conveyor. I took the robot and ran the parts up and down 4x for the hinges to be flexed. The parts had wide flaps on them so they were flexed a high degree. I figured the 4 movements were not necessary but I was able to do this without extending the cycle time of the press.
    I did run a PP/PA6 part once that we didn't flex the hinges on because it was used one time and oce the flap was latched down; it wasn't designed to be opened again.
    Rick

Re: Flexing a living hinge

What sort of volumes are we talking?