Thread: Heat Stake Inserts

Heat Stake Inserts

Hello everyone,

We're running a job that requires us to install inserts after the parts are molded. We have confirmed the hole dimensions are to the specifications that Penn Engineering have called-out, but we are getting plastic pushing up and out of the part during installation. Can anyone give me an idea of what we can do to stop this?

Re: Heat Stake Inserts

Are you sure the hole is properly sized? Does it have some taper and you're pushing it in from the smallest diameter? Is the insert designed for heat staking or ultrasonic staking? Are you using too much heat or pressure to push the insert in faster? I hate heat staking inserts into parts. Either mold them in or use ultrasonics to place them.
    Rick

Re: Heat Stake Inserts

My experience is mostly with 3d prints and using heat set inserts using one of the handheld solder style staker. I find that the inserts normally want to back out on me, so i try to get them flush or just subflush using heat, then use a flat aluminum block to hold the insert in place as it cools. As the insert backs out, it is held flush with the flat plate, and also keeps any plastic overflow at bay.

This is fairly easy with a flat surface, but molded parts typically arent...maybe borrow the same concept using an aluminum or printed jig/tool which mates with your part design as needed.

This is not a process i see having much repeatability in a production setting unfortunately.