Thread: Deduster recommendation for PMMA

Deduster recommendation for PMMA

Hello everyone!

I have a dedicated machine running PMMA Lens and I am using a Matsui deduster. I would like to hear others experience with different deduster's brands. Has anyone any recommendation?

My top one scrap is white specks, even though my machine is not in a clean room, I guess some fines in the material are the main cause. Has anyone any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Re: Deduster recommendation for PMMA

A few years back for me running PMMA, but we had the same issues with white specks on a clear lens product line and after in-depth research and experiments we found that the material causing the white specks did indeed come from the material supplier and was caused by the cutting process during pelletizing. (dull Blades) We switched to a "medical grade" of PMMA which solved the problem. We didn't try any branded deduster's instead we ran the material across stainless steel screens shaking out the fines. The medical grade material showed far less fines when it was ran through the shaker. In the end we stop using the shakers that required extra labor and used the stainless steel screen in the loading and drying processes. Specks any color other then white was a in-house issue.

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your answer.

Material I can't change because it is specified by our customer (Automotive).
    I will have a look in this kind of stainless steel screen and try to use as you said.

We use dedicated hopper and material feed lines for clear PMMA, and a de duster from Pelletron.

Years ago I paid more for material that was fines separated prior to delivery. I had a Pelletron deduster inline with the dryer. I also utilized hopper filtration at the machine as well. Hope this helps.