Thread: Creaking Sound and tool to platen wear, Engel Tie Bar Less.

Creaking Sound and tool to platen wear, Engel Tie Bar Less.

Help please

We have a 2016 Engel Victory 650/120 Tech (Tie Barless) that was purchased new, currently with very low running hours to date.

Late last year we started to notice:
    (a) a significant creaking sound emanating from the machine during clamp force build up and,
    (b) upon removal of tool/s, signs of fretting between the tool and fixed platen surfaces such as metal dust, metal flakes and surface damage, refer photo.

In an effort to isolate the cause, we first applied a masking tape to the entire tool surface that resulted in eliminating the sound for a few hours only, refer photo.
    We then mounted dial indicators to various positions of the machine, refer attached image, the result showed that during clamp force build up:
    (1) platen deflected 0.05mm (0.002”) when measured over a 350mm (13.78”) distance, horizontally across the central top of the fixed platen and
    (2) the gap between the edges of the fixed platen and both sides of the tool reduce by 0.06mm (0.002”) at the front top and front bottom and the rear top and rear bottom.

Note:
    (i) tests were conducted on a 550mm (21”) wide x 630mm (25”) high tool in the machine at the time.
    (ii) the above issue was evident on multiple injection tools during this period of time and since Xmas we are reluctant to operate the machine.

Has anyone experience a similar issue?

Please advise

Norm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture1.jpg   Picture2.jpg   pic3.jpg   pic4.jpg  

Re: Creaking Sound and tool to platen wear, Engel Tie Bar Less.

Hi,
    That is an interesting observation. I have not seen that but I have always heard the large machines creak and make noise during injection.
    Sorry, not of much help.
    -Suhas

Not sure about your side to side measurements, but with horizontal witness lines across the middle of the tool I would suspect that the machine is out of level

Hi ijchan23, thanks for your reply, the machine was set up by our local Engel agent on a quality 6 inch concrete floor. If you look at my CAD drawing you will note that from the dial gauge readings it shows that the fixed platen is flexing vertically through the centerline of the fixed platen and this is why it appears we are seeing the distance between the tool to edge of the platen reduce on both the front and back causing the metal fretting and creaking sound. This isn’t happening on the moving platen and hence no metal fretting.

One question: Does this press have the 'scroll block' deflection system or the newer one looking two or more blocks?
    I have never seen this on the scroll block style but with the newer ones I have and its an issue with the pre-load applied to the moving platten. I also have seen this when the stationary platten is loose, damaged, or someone drilled a platten or frame and it has propagated a crack.
    Rick Batey