Thread: Adhesion on overmolded PCB with PA 678

Adhesion on overmolded PCB with PA 678

Hi all,

I have big problem during overmolding of some PCB. Main function of molded part is to make part waterproof.
    When molding is finished, resaults are good, but after day or so there is separation (picture). We have problem on around 30-50% of total number of parts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keypad 1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	530

Material for overmold is PA 678 (macromelt), material for PCB is polyamide.

So far I tryed every speed and pack profile, different temperature profiles of tool and resin, increasing of gate, cooling time up to 5min (just for testing), tool opeining profile, material drying on diffenet profiles....
    In summary i changed every parameter from lowest point to higest point, and i didnt got any solution.
    Anyone have experience or advise what i can try next?

P.S. Tool and parts are cleaned from greasses, worker have clean gloves on hands to prevent transfer of grease to part.

Re: Adhesion on overmolded PCB with PA 678

Hello,
    This is does to post mold shrinkage. Can you try to overmold the parts one or two days after you mold the substrate (1st part)?
    Let us know.
    Suhas

I get as material (semi-product) PCB and i (try) to make it waterproof (pucture below).

Name:	key 2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	531

Name:	key 3.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	533

This is before and after overmold. As you can see im also limited with preassure, speed and temperature because of wires. If is to high it will damage them.

One of solution that i found is maybie drying PCB before mold to have better adhesion, but im afraid that after it will be damaged.
    In any case i will try it.

I hope it will solve this nightmare, but personaly i think chanses are slim.

Im open for all sugestions.

Regards,

Hi

Have you tried heating the PCB just prior to over moulding instead of drying it. Maybe use a hot air gun to heat the surface then overmould. Just heat to match the mould temperature.