Thread: cashew gate in pc/abs?

cashew gate in pc/abs?

Hello All!

Hope everyone is safe, and productive.

I got a request to review a new mold being built, and the PM would like to use a cashew gate so that no trimming is required, but the material is pc/abs ... I am not sure if I have ever used such a combo.... perhaps it would work, but the biggest concern is if the material is too stiff to pull out consistently from the gate. Has anyone had success with such?

Thank You in Advance,
    Joel

Re: cashew gate in pc/abs?

I have run some with PC/ABS. It was a touchy process and once it was running you didn't want to stop it.

Hi Joel,

It would depend on the amount of the ABS, the higher the better. If possible, I would suggest against it as much as possible. You can do two things: (1) if you are molding that material and have a mold with a cashew gate, try to mold it there and try (with care of course). (2) Ask the material manufacturer.

Let us know what you learn. We would like to learn too.

-Suhas

PC/ABS is a material that I would try to refrain from using cashew gating and subgating. The % of ABS is definitely critical if you are gating on a class A part. PC does not play nice with cashew gating and subgating, because often you will have gate blush. Hot runner valve gating works well with this material. Keep in mind that PC/ABS is shear sensitive and it loves radii. You can PM me if you would like to chat further.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!.... I will try to push this job in another direction in gating.

Thanks again,
    Joel