Thread: Chiller water is getting dirty and brownish color

Chiller water is getting dirty and brownish color

Water inside Air cooled chiller Tank is getting reddish color, This is closed loop water system to cool the injection mold on IMM machine.
    Every week we are replacing water, how can we reduce this color change, is there any chemicals, for antirust and anti scalant.

Re: Chiller water is getting dirty and brownish color

Hi,

Yes there are, I am not the expert, but we have a "water" guy come by every, say every 4 months(?), and test our tower water and add chemicals to it .... our water is still murky looking, and will still cause metals to rust.

Joel

Water can be very problematic to injection molds and machines. I once had the same issues with water at a company that i worked for. This led to an extreme build up of calcium carbonate inside water channels, which pretty much rendered the water channels nearly ineffective. That company I worked for contracted help to remove all blockages and buildup caused by the water. After all were removed and the water was removed from the entire system, we started using 50/50 blend of gylcol and distilled water. Yes, this is a big investment but noticeable difference when your water (cooling) problems are erased. Today there are now many of products that will aid in the removal of this buildup, but many prove to be only somewhat effective. I have a friend that recently experienced this issue on a mold and a sales person from DME just so happened to be there talking about molds. The sales guy showed my friend a product that sounds like it would be perfect for you.

We also use glycol in our tower water. It solves some water quality problems, but keep in mind it can also be detrimental to heat transfer in the mold.

I use some water soluble cutting fluid in our chiller water. Keeps it clean and kills off any algae growth.

Why am I so suspicious about this method of cooling?
    The 'mass' of a fluid (air, water, liquid-sodium etc) decides the capability of the fluid to transfer heat.
    'Gut' feel tells me that whilst a gas will flow easier through the cooling labyrinths, this will be negated by the poor heat transfer, and also lead to uneven cooling across the plastic mould.

as some member already mention, we also add chemical and check water PH in our chiller, also we add 1 big filter in the chiller out , and anuual maintenance , flush all water and clean all coils etc..
    but I think the chemical treatment its necessary + filters in our case

B.R

In our plant we run a Zee Company Chemical system that monitors the water and it adds chemical as needed. While it makes the water last longer, it does require fluid change. i believe that it last a few months.

I had a similar problem in my system. Used CLR from the hardware store in my tank and tower, ran the system with this in it for a few days, removed and cleaned my screens and filters, than refilled my system with fresh water, added baking soda to dissolve any remaining acids, and later added a concentrated rust inhibitor from NAPA, at $5 Gal, added 15 gallons for my 300 gallon system. Have not had any problems with heat exchangers or chillers since the flush out.

I think I should be careful with the chemicals that may affect to heat transfer in the mold.