Thread: Run mold water at 248F !

Exclamation Run mold water at 248F !

Hello,

We are being asked to run mold water at 248 F!.... and I have my concerns..... of course we can get high temp hoses, but then still I worry about the water boiling, and overall safety in general. Has anyone run this kind of temperature with water, or do you just have to go to oil? Any safety recommendations other than gloves and water fitting clips?

Thx,
    Joel

Re: Run mold water at 248F !

Hello Joel,
    There are special units that run high temp water. I hear that there are units that go up to 350 deg F. Yes, you will need special hoses and hose clamps. Please research before doing this.
    PLEASE BE VERY SAFE WITH THIS.
    Regards,
    Suhas

Quote Originally Posted by Suhas View Post
    Hello Joel,
    There are special units that run high temp water. I hear that there are units that go up to 350 deg F. Yes, you will need special hoses and hose clamps. Please research before doing this.
    PLEASE BE VERY SAFE WITH THIS.
    Regards,
    Suhas
    Hi,

You have to have also special fittings and connectors.
    Tool have to be prepared for this as higher water temperature than boiling temp. means higher preassure to keep the water "liquid".

I recommend to make such a tools oil tempered due to the heat exchange, corrosion and preassure requirements.
    Also from safety issues its more safe than overboiled water.

J.

Hi Joel
    We use same temp, running with matsui tmp controller,, any way , we use high temperature hoses cover with metal mesh , technician should use protective gloves
    and we implement a quick purge system in the mtc to avoid technician has contact direct with water at the time to disconnect the hoses,,
    of curse safety protective wear should apply for technician and operators, Safety glasses are very important also , so far we never have an incident with hot water

regards

hi,
    I am running several moulds on 120C (248F) water. Nipples on moulds DME, Hoses Hi-temp metal braided with teflon inside, thermolators Wittmann Tempro C140.
    yes, be careful. before disconnecting of hoses you have to cool the tool down under 90C. Please check also placing of hoses (sharp edges, colision etc…. can damage the hoses).

Hey Joel,

We typically run everything from 250 and below on water here. Anything above on oil. With high temp water hoses and fittings - it's not that hot. Be sure to get non-corrosive fittings though and have technicians take a little more time on setup and tear downs to avoid spraying it.

OK, thanks everyone for feedback

Joel

I wouldn’t use disconnects due to coming off, leaking seals and soon. I would JIC or Flare fittings. If you’re worried about change over times, plumb the molds with manifolds and use larger fittings to only make four connections (two per mold half). With today’s modern oil units and synthetic oils I’d just stay with oil on any thing ~200*F and up.
    Rick.

OK Thanks Rick.