Thread: Guidance required: PMMA injection molding

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Guidance required: PMMA injection molding

Hi all,

New member here, looking for some general guidance with regards to PMMA injection molding.

I'm in the final stages of product development for an LED lighting system, and require a PMMA optic. I have modelled this up in CAD (I can send a copy if required), and the overall part dimensions are 220 mm x 180 mm x 6 mm. There is a 2mm wall thickness consistent across the part. All faces have been drafted, and all corners radiused. There are no undercuts, and as far as I can tell (by following design manuals) the part should be producible using a simple two part cavity / core mold. I have sent the cad model to an injection molding company, and have received a tooling quote back for £25,000.

I have no experience in injection molding, however I have been a CNC programmer and draftsman for most of my life, and therefore have some knowledge in manufacturing. I understand that injection molding (and die production) is an extremely complicated process, however I cannot understand how the die could be this expensive.

Given that this forum is full of experts, could any of you please let me know if this sounds like an acceptable price, or offer any tips on how to reduce the mold cost further?

I have uploaded some images of the part as I cannot attach CAD models. Hopefully they can give you an idea of what I am trying to produce.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide. It will be greatly appreciated.

Carl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ISO Top.jpg   ISO Underside.jpg   Top.jpg   Underside.jpg   Side A.jpg