Thread: Soft Cap , need advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Soft Cap , need advice

Hi to all,

I don't have much experience with this kind of material, or part design for that matter, so looking for any help I can get....

My boss wants to quote this.... I have looked at it and I can tell you it's very soft, it feels like silicone, (see the "squashed" photo) .....I am guessing it is a soft type of TPE, also I was not able to find any gate marks, or Ej pin marks for that matter.

Can someone confirm this is TPE, and where would it/should it be gated? Any other advice is welcome.

thx! Joel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cap1.jpg   cap2.jpg  

Re: Soft Cap , need advice

That looks like silicone to me, can you try to melt it with a soldering iron to confirm?

That is a great idea.... will do as soon as boss gives me permission to do damage to his only part.

Thx!,

Joel

The straw caps I’ve ran in with past were molded of PE and gated into the large end. Mold had stripper plate for ejection and ran pretty fast cycle times. You had to watch process as you could mold parts that would shrink too much and not fit straws.
    Ran them from PVC and PP/PE blends as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbatey View Post
    The straw caps I’ve ran in with past were molded of PE and gated into the large end. Mold had stripper plate for ejection and ran pretty fast cycle times. You had to watch process as you could mold parts that would shrink too much and not fit straws.
    Ran them from PVC and PP/PE blends as well.
    I've also molded a similar part out of PE called a tethered cap and also gated at the cap end. Vent the hell out of the tethered end or you will have problems filling it.

try elvaloy ac looks to have the same gloss and flexibility if you smell the part and it smells like a fishing lure that is what it is . my second guess would be a ldpe