Thread: Van Dorn 300HT excessive noise

Van Dorn 300HT excessive noise

Press idles quietly but makes a ton of noise on any movement.
    Oil is good quality, clean.
    Changed both pumps variable volume & the vane pump.
    Found the vane pump really scored up.
    Still the same noise with the new pump.
    I'm at a loss???

Re: Van Dorn 300HT excessive noise

It could be sucking air in somewhere - check seals/o-rings. I have no experience on Van Dorn - but out Negri Bossi has a block that bolts onto the pump, this block is the main oil pickup from the tank. it has a large O-ring between the block and pump - if this O-ring is worn/damaged then air is sucked in and the noise is terrible......

check GG1 valve; cable and card; check kepler valve. Individually probe clamp close valve and clamp open valve while probing high volume valve.
    check clamp and screw press control valve (remove cover and see if oil in circuit board)

Hello, Did you check the suction filter in the tank? If its dirty you will cavitate pumps on any demand.

please check also the oil in oil tank. If is possible také a sample to see potential air inside (oil level mark is not good enough). I vote for air suction.

I pulled the tank cover. I do not see any aeration when the press is operating.
    We drained the tank. Suction filters are clean. The butterfly valves are not broken & operate as they should.
    We changed all the o-rings on the suction lines. Installed with Parker o-ring lube. No leaks when standing.
    The worm drive clamps (2) on the 2 1/2" suction line look iffy so I ordered new t-bolt clamps.
    When probing sol LC I get the noise.
    Same with GG1
    GG1 & C1 together give me a sound of pump load but not the loud noise.
    Also, if I probe the carriage forward/back solenoids it moves smoothly with no noise. If I actuate it from the control panel I get the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by collij3 View Post
    check GG1 valve; cable and card; check kepler valve. Individually probe clamp close valve and clamp open valve while probing high volume valve.
    check clamp and screw press control valve (remove cover and see if oil in circuit board)
    I haven't removed the cover but I did see that box was leaking oil!
    Contact cleaner or replacement??

Quote Originally Posted by collij3 View Post
    I have now changed both pumps ... twice!
    When I probe GG1 I get noise and 2500 psi at port 72.
    When I probe LC I get noise but it is a different sound.

When I pulled the cover off the proportional pressure control valve it was full of oil!!!

I did note that if I pull the cable off that valve I get the same sound(s)

I'm guessing that board is cooked?