Thread: Loud noise when mould opens.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Loud noise when mould opens.

Hi, I’m new in the forum.

Recently I got a new Toyo SI-6 180, I’m using the machine to mould IML containers, after a few months of using the machine it started to make a loud noise when mould opens.

Mould details: 2 cavity with hot runners.

I dismounted the mould, mount it again, double checked the clamps adjustment, send the mould to a mould maker to check for abnormal wear, cracks or anything and found nothing wrong.
    Has anyone experienced something similar?
    How you solved?
    Nice to meet you all and Thank you in advance for any help!

Re: Loud noise when mould opens.

Maybe minor misalignment during high pressure clamp?
    if there's too many slide locks or tapered locking features sometimes mold will bind up during high pressure tonnage; once that tonnage is released it can make loud popping sound.

A test would be to 1) close the mold without using high pressure tonnage (so just slowly touch mold haves together), open mold an normal speed, note any noises or thumps.
    Then 2) close the mold under high pressure clamp, open mold at normal speed, note any noises or thumps.

You could even go a step further and close the mold leaving various increments of clearance between parting line.
    So leave 1" of clearance, open mold to investigate irregularities, Leave 2" of clearance, open mold for irregularities, and so on... May help you pin-point exactly what features are causing the noise, if any. And can help rule out the mold as the problem.

Welcome to the Forum and let us know what you find!

Thank you for the advice, I did the 2 tests you suggested:
    1) I didn’t notice any strange sound
    2) Closed mold with high pressure clamp (normal) open at normal speed an when clamp pressure opens mold makes a loud THUMP!!
    Tried leaving a clearance in the mold and then opening but the thump! Only happens when the clamp opens (exactly at 2.79mm).
    Unfortunately I think my mold is defective, tomorrow I’m going to talk with the mold maker to try to solve the issue.

Hello,
    Are you sure sound is coming from mold? Check also speeds and pressure drops during mold opening. It happens that machine can make "hydraulic jump" if you go from high speed to low or when you go from high to low pressure.
    More "smooth" transition helping with this issue.

What nemanja said is a good point, would be good to verify smooth opening speed and pressure profiles.

I might try removing the side locks to see if it goes away. Hopefully it's binding up on these components, and not your actual mold features.
    Maybe remove the top and bottom first, then try the left and right. If you're mold is equipped. Similar to ones pictured below
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side locks.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	363

Fixed!!
    Changed opening speed from: 37%>52%>74%>100%
    To: 100%>100%>100%>100%

And the thumping sound completely disappeared.
    The machine it’s a 100% electric (my first one) and I’m not sure if it’s usual to set high movement speeds without a “smooth” acceleration, but in this case it worked.

Thanks to all for you advice!!!