Thread: Documentation Process for trials/validation of a new mold

Documentation Process for trials/validation of a new mold

When you bring a new mold in and run trials/validation, what information do you record?

We are a small custom molding shop and typically run orders of 1,000-50,000 per year. Currently the only information that is recorded is the setup sheet for the settings that were used to get cosmetically accepted parts.

I'd like to set up a more robust documentation process and am wondering what everyone else documents.

Re: Documentation Process for trials/validation of a new mold

Usually I do all the standard stuff: Viscosity curve, shot to shot repeatability, cavity balance, gate freeze, cosmetic window study, cooling time study, and a DOE if needed. I also check the water flow and water temp through the mold using a flowmeter, get steel temps, and melt temps. I have gotten demolding temps in the past as well. I also record outputs like fill time, peak pressure, cushion, end of fill weights, and part weights. I dumb all this information into a online program we use so all the other engineers can find it if needed. We do document the inputs as well in a setup sheet. I am sure I forgot something in the quick response. Look up on Suha's website. His book is really good and has a lot about testing, documentation, and building a robust process. Would be a good read for you if you are trying to set up something.

Also our tool room documents a lot of stuff on the tool when it comes in. Like venting, gate size, etc. and then they put that in a file for the tool.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response. I've read a number of books including Suha's. Mostly I was curious what quantity is really being done after joining a company that doesn't record any of it.

I'm the only one that would be doing anything like this, including any documentation beyond the basic dimensions and weight of the tool. We have 18 machines running 24/5 and I usually have one new mold or material change test per day, so I'd like to set something up that is realistic for my workload but also provides us with robust processes and good documentation to support future production runs.

I know the feeling....been there, done that, and got the T-shirt. Only thing I can say is try and knock out the highest runners/problem childs first. If you can run some tests and make the part run better, faster, and with less defects it might give you some time to work on the lower runners. So long as the part isn't a big pain to get going you should be able to run a process study within a few hours. Getting dimensions on parts for a cooling time test and DOE might take longer, but maybe you can get the QA department to help you with this? Maybe talk to them about how in the end it might help them with less rejections to deal with in the future.

Also if you can work on proving to management that detailing a process and doing the studies helps quality, cycle time, and their bottom line ($$$$$) they may help with scheduling so you aren't so overloaded. I have in the past taken problem child parts and high runners shown how much money they have saved by just taken time to set them up right that it blows their mind. makes it easier to get help after that.