Thread: Die height Motor

Die height Motor

Im hoping someone can help solve a strange issue we have been having with our die height motor. The machine is an older 110 ton Toyo G2 series hydraulic press. In the last year and a half we have replaced the die height motor 3 times due to the internal gears of the motors locking up and or breaking. This last time we replaced the motor and it seemed to last 2 days before or setup team reported having an issue. we are now ordering a 4th motor. Has anyone heard of an issue such as this? We have questioned our setup team on setting die height and clamp force during a mold changeover and nothing seems out of the norm. The ring gear is in great shape and shows no signs of wear or excessive play. A new encoder wheel is installed with each motor change. We have checked platen parallelism and is within specs. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Die height Motor

Is the press level? I’ve seen them slip but that was due to a bad brake on them. In the design what sets clamping force and controls it? I ask because maybe the motor is trying to adjust the clamping force while the toggle is locked? Hence the short life span. BTW you rarely get the FULL truth from too many technicians. Not sure why that is but it’s been that way for my 33 years!?
    Rick