Hi folks, my interested in recycling plastic and injection moulding was recently sparked by the Precious Plastics project.

Whilst the equipment they have designed coopers to work ok I started looking at more commercial injection moulding equipment.

I want to be able to produce slightly better quality products with a really good finish.

I started to look at better machines and found the Travin machines. Initially these appeared to be exactly what I needed but then I found out even the biggest of their machines can only press 100mm x 100mm. I need to be able to closer to 250mm x 200mm at least.

So, I started the search again. I've not been informed that to do this size of product I need a 50 tonne machine. I got a quote for a Boy machine for £48k which is a little outside my budget ;-). I've seen plenty of older monster sized machines for around £2/£3k. I'm not going to pretend I have any experience of these.

I also found the Morgan Press Model G-100T in the USA which looks very good. Around £20k new so still expensive when you factor import taxes etc.

The question is, am I being naive in thinking I would be able to produce these products myself on a reasonably priced machine? I would appreciate direction on exactly what machine I would need.