Thread: Cataloging, storing and documenting a collection of molds

Cataloging, storing and documenting a collection of molds

Hi,
    I am quite new to the whole PIM industry and have been tasked with cataloging, storing and documenting a factories collection of molds. I was just wondering if there is a tried and tested or at least widely accepted method of doing this? Or do i go ahead and come up with my own system?

Sorry if the question seems a bit strange or silly, but i would be interested in hearing how you keep track of all your molds.

Hi Rob81,
    Sure we can all help. What all do you need to document? You may mostly have to come up with your own system but give us some specifics.
    Regards,
    Suhas

Hi Suhas,
    I have around 100 molds to sort out. They are all different sizes, all are Cold Runners and most are standards (two plate) molds. There are about 10, 3 plate molds.
    I was wondering if you guys have a tried and tested way of sorting your molds. I mean do you come up with your own serial numbers and storage solutions or are there any set "rules" that people follow?

again i apologize if my questions seem simplistic, but i have to start somewhere

Hi Rob,
    There are no rules, you can make you own rules. Having said that - Are all the molds your own molds for your own products? Or do they belong to different customers? Do you currently have mold numbers? Are there any family molds - those that mold more than one unique part (not the multiple of the same)? - Example - a cover and a base?
    Will try and help as much as possible. Also tell us if you are a custom shop or a captive shop - some history - no need to tell us the name or city you are in.
    Suhas

Buy a copy of "Nautilus" software! Suhas can help with that. It can do what you want and so much more!

"Keep on Molding"

brent

Oh cool! I have checked out the website with the Nautilus software and it seems to be very close to what I am looking for. I have already ordered a trial copy.

Suhas- we are small/medium custom shop and have been manufacturing many different types of plastic accessories for the past 50 odd years. Our main production lines use polycarbonate and POM to make anything from coat hangers to belt buckles.
    I, myself am very new to the company ( and the industry to be honest, I have an IT background) but I have been asked to apply my organizational and managerial skills to the production line. My main aim is to try and stream line the production, implement more efficient processes, decrease defect rate and ultimately increase productivity/profit.
    My planned first steps are to catalog the existing hardware and production capabilities and identify what are the shortcomings. Hence my search for an of the shelf/modifiable software/methodology to assist me.
    I was quite excited to stumble upon your forum, as by reading through it a bit there seems to some very knowledgeable people here that may be able to nudge me in the right direction.
    I will give the Nautilus software a go and hopefully it will help me out.

(Thanks Brent as always.)
    Hi RobK, I hope you have got the trial version. I tend to send out the link within a day that I get the requests. Bug me if you have not received it - but after you check your junk mail box
    Brent and Rick have some amazing experience and I have known them for a long time. Please do use this forum and pass on the info to others. We are all here to help.
    Regards,
    Suhas

Rob,

Suhas is a very humble, as well as honest man. These traits are extremely rare these days, especially for someone in his field, where many think self-promotion is key to success!
    Suhas could have told you about Nautilus when you posted, but probably didn't due to his humility.
    Welcome to the world of Injection Molding and;

"Keep on Molding"

brent

Suhas- Yea i did order the trial version. I haven't received the link yet, but I'm sure ill get it soon.
    Brent- thanks for the welcome! Its nice to find people willing to help others, particularly newcomers to injection molding such as myself!

thanks guys.