Thread: Injection molding of ABS Plastic and TPR Material

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Injection molding of ABS Plastic and TPR Material

Hi,

I am working with a Chinese manufacturer to create a new product that uses ABS plastic and TPR material. The manufacturer injected the TPR material alongside the ABS plastic (thus avoiding the use of glue), but they informed me that for some reason that the TPR material and ABS plastic are not sticking well together. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to solve this issue? Any advice that I could send to the Chinese manufacturer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Greg

Contact Kraiburg. They have grades just for ABS and other engineered resins. I worry that your supplier is not molding the substrate, then over molding the part. That will make the control of the two melts very difficult, and increase the scrap produced. Also you will have a hard time finding a viable means to recycle the scrap parts from these types of processes.
    The best method is to purchase a press just for this process. Then inject the ABS, and pull the core or rotate the mold halves, then ASAP inject the TPE onto the substrate. The higher the surface energy of the substrate, the better your bond strength will be.
    Hope this helps, Rick.

You can also do it as an overmold, but "anchors" need to be designed into the first shot so the overmold will hold.

Injection molding of ABS Plastic and TPR Material

thanks so much Rick and PJ. I will definitely pass along your suggestions to the manufacturer.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
    Greg

ABS is never sticking well to TPR that is coming from their nature behavior. However, you still can force them to stick together which is to intently design certain "undercuts" on slier location so that to force them stick well. My project has had one plastic part similar to yours and using double injection. by the way, do not use overmolding cause that brings more issues you are not expected. Hope it helps.

Lin

Re: Injection molding of ABS Plastic and TPR Material

Yes, Abs plastic is never sticking well to TPR because of their natural behavior. TPR plastic are used to produce the soft material like soft toys and plastic handle etc.