Thread: Concept Secrecy.

Concept Secrecy.

Hello,

I do not have any direct industry knowledge or experience regarding injection molding. I have a question regarding prototypes, probably 3d printed or cnc machined, but I am hoping someone on this forum can give me some advice please.

I was considering separating components from the device to be made at different manufacturers in order to keep the concept a secret. Do other designers/inventors do this, are there problems doing this when parts need to fit together such as interference fits?

Thanks, I know it's a bit of a dumb question.

G.

Re: Concept Secrecy.

i work for a trade moulder and we do this for many different customers. in regard to fitting together you can give a drawing that they have to make it to or even make a jig for the parts to fit to so they dont have to use the actual parts that connect to.

also if you have a part made you will be sent samples or be their for the first run and if they are good at my work we would have that as a gold standard and save settings to get that part the same each time it ran.

hope this helps

Jamie

In my humble opinion......... here's what I would do, have a lawyer craft up a nice non-disclosure agreement that the molder, or other's, would sign before seeing the work.... then get them made at the same place... especially when it comes to injection molding....... that will make everyone's life easier, including yours. You can, however, separate it out, with good/stringent quality specs as necessary.

I don't though have any experience with such, so good luck!

Joel

Not a bad idea to separate, though your dimensions and tolerances would need to be on point in regards to fit form function. Especially if they're actually really critical. And if shop's able to hit those dimensions and fit form function doesn't work, then it could cost you a lot to adjust tooling dimensions and updating part drawings etc.

I'd recommend using one good contract manufacturer that can help with engineering, operations, production and assembly of all components - much more streamline this way.. I'd bet my paycheck a really experienced, busy, contract manufacturer (specializing in engineering, injection molding, automation, assembly, packaging) wouldn't need to steal your ideas... They're in the ballgame of landing new contracts. Just talk to some they may even have a policy on this type stuff.. Not a terrible idea to look into patents, at least patent pending to get the ball rolling.. I'd suggest manufacturing in the US where those laws actually mean something

On that note I HAVE heard of smaller contract manufactures that will patent customer's projects - for the sole purpose of being their only supplier of the component.

In terms of prototyping, maybe just get your own 3d printer?

Agree with Joel. If you have a patent, it would not matter.
    Others have some good points too!
    Suhas