Thread: Universal Setup Data

Universal Setup Data

Is this still a viable approach to setting up and documenting processes or are more companies going back to having separate setup sheets for each press? I'm a huge proponent of the Universal Setup Card, but how effective is it if you don't have presses that are similar in size and age?

Re: Universal Setup Data

Universal set-up sheets are useful (in my opinion) for transferring tools from press to press. Often a specific set-up sheet is also used for each particular press,showing positions,temps,velocities, and pressures etc.

KOM

brent

Re: Universal Setup Data

I prefer the individual setup sheets. One of my previous employers we had we had like 12 242 ton presses that were the same specs and ran down the assembly line one after the other. Processes sometimes went from one machine to another, but not all time. They sometimes needed a little tweaking. We saved them to the CF card so no real need to transfer them after they were set. My current company uses universal setup sheets. most of the machines are Engels and all have 25mm screws except a couple of machines. However they never took into account differences in the hydraulic intensification ratio when they set them up. So they never work right. If you convert into plastic pressure instead or hydraulic pressure and volumes instead of strokes I imagine it would work a lot better.