Thread: blocking cavity

Question blocking cavity

im a current apprentice in the tool room and i am always trying to learn and come up with new ideas,use
    we currently use aluminium rod, shaped on a collet lathe, this is then put down the lh/rh gate but removing the aluminium often causes damage to the gate and was wondering if anyone has any other ideas of howto block a cavity?

Re: blocking cavity

Build them into the mold when new. Next I was taught to make them from silver solder. Place the end into the stream from s torch and melt a ball onto the end then clip off. Pull ball into runner channel and gate insert and fold tail over to retain in mold. Then clip tail off to remove.
    Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by TheApprentice View Post
    im a current apprentice in the tool room and i am always trying to learn and come up with new ideas,use
    we currently use aluminium rod, shaped on a collet lathe, this is then put down the lh/rh gate but removing the aluminium often causes damage to the gate and was wondering if anyone has any other ideas of howto block a cavity?
    Try solder instead of AL!

KOM
    brent

I have had some mold makers use chunks of lead to seal off damaged cavities before. However a lot of places frown on lead for obvious reasons. If it is a constant think I agree with Rick, build a shut off into the mold.

Quote Originally Posted by iautry1973 View Post
    I have had some mold makers use chunks of lead to seal off damaged cavities before. However a lot of places frown on lead for obvious reasons. If it is a constant think I agree with Rick, build a shut off into the mold.
    Enlighten us on the "obvious reasons" please! Imagine lead in a BECU mold component?

KOM

brent

Brent, we used it for PC, HIPS, and a few others. Health and safety guy kept worrying we were all going to get lead poisoning and die.

We worried about the same thing in the Service!

KOM

brent