PDA

View Full Version : Fume Mask ?

chrisprocess
17th January 2018, 08:40 PM
Hi all,

Does anybody know of a fume mask of some sort to wear that protects against toxic fumes from plastic melt during injection molding process?

Scientifically speaking, do they actually work?

A lot of different types:

Carbon
Charcoal
Air Safety filter
Other?

Any recommendation on type of the fume mask when molding various types of plastic: ABS, PVC, Acetal and many others.
Try to use a vacuum Fumex to vacuum fumes as much as possible, but they aren't always effective..

Let me know your thoughts

Thank you!

Chris

chrisprocess
18th January 2018, 10:39 PM
UPDATE

Contacted 3M in regards to ABS, PVC, and Acetal and they recommended a P100 rated filter (blocks 99.97% of particulates over .3 microns) and an organic vapor cartridge (activated carbon that condenses organic vapors when air passes through it).

3M recommendation:
P/N #6200 - Face Piece
P/N #60921 - Dual P100 filter/Organic Vapor Cartridge

However their mask is a little large for what I wanted and it would probably scare the operators.. so I ended up going with a P95 filtered mask with charcoal (active carbon I suppose) to block nuisance levels of organic vapors. Found it on Amazon, hopefully easy to toss on when purging those nasty materials and when working closely to fumes.

https://www.amazon.com/NIOSH-Certified-Particulate-Respirators-Construction-Improvement/dp/B075Y2WFH3/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1516314697&sr=1-2&keywords=amston+p95