PDA

View Full Version : General advice sought for new injection molding setup

theprune
1st October 2017, 10:53 AM
Hi, I'm investigating the feasibility of setting up a small injection molding facility within my business. We would like the capability to produce ABS plastic control knobs for equipment in a wide range of colors and shapes. I know only the very most basic details about this technology, so I would like to know what to look for

- What kind of machine specifications should I look for if I want to create runs of ~10K small control knobs (i.e. https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1T3HkIXXXXXXdXFXXq6xXFXXXv/KN-19-DAVIES-1510-Clone-Potentiometer-Pedal-Knobs.jpg)
- Which manufacturers offer the kind of small machines I might be looking at (we are based in Germany)
- Price range?
- (Perhaps a hard question to answer, but..) Should I avoid second hand equipment? I see a fair bit of old second hand stuff on auction sites and I always wonder whether we could re-purpose this or whether it is best left for people who can troubleshoot any problems easily
- What kind of maintenance is to be expected with an injection molding set up like the one I am looking for? As in - how often and how much $?

any answers/tips/pointers much appreciated!

Suhas
1st October 2017, 08:02 PM
Hi,
Here are some answers but you must of course make your own judgement and listen to other opinions ...
- What kind of machine specifications should I look for if I want to create runs of ~10K small control knobs (i.e. https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1T3HkI...edal-Knobs.jpg)
This is knob size, material and number of cavity dependent. This is not an easy answer for several reasons.
- Which manufacturers offer the kind of small machines I might be looking at (we are based in Germany)
You have one of the best manufacturers right there in Germany - Arburg, they are one of the top!
- Price range?
Hard Answer
- (Perhaps a hard question to answer, but..) Should I avoid second hand equipment? I see a fair bit of old second hand stuff on auction sites and I always wonder whether we could re-purpose this or whether it is best left for people who can troubleshoot any problems easily
If you are confident you will have the sales and the market - go for a new one. If you are unsure, go with used for now and then upgrade for new.
- What kind of maintenance is to be expected with an injection molding set up like the one I am looking for? As in - how often and how much $?
Again, will depend.

Suggestion: I am sure there are lots of consultants in your area. I would run the project by one of these guys and get an idea. You will have to spend some money for consulting but will be well worth it. Get a local person. I am sure there are some Injection Molding Associations in your area.

Hope this helps some.

Regards,
Suhas

iautry1973
9th October 2017, 03:29 PM
As far as specs for the machine you really need to have a mold design in place. How many cavities in the mold, how big is the mold, shot weight, etc? Once you have these they can spec out a machine for you. Some manufacturers (like Arburg) can do the whole thing as a turn key project. Just give them the part design and expectation of how many parts you need a year.

Some good manufacturers are Arburg, Engel, Roboshot, and Sumitomo (stateside service isn't great for these however). Prices vary on the size of the machine so really not something I could give you a ballpark on unless you know the size you are looking for.

One way to look at second hand equipment is...they are getting rid of it for a reason. Not very many people get rid of something that is paid for unless they are upgrading to something better, more efficient, or less maintenance issues. If you buy something used take a good look at it with someone who knows molding machines. If you can see it running that is the best.

Most newer machines just require some easy PMs daily/weekly/monthly/yearly. Doesn't cost much. Your tech can usually do them. It does save you a lot in the end with less breakdowns.

You need to look at secondary equipment as well. Dryers, Grinder (maybe), robot (maybe), mold heater, conveyors (maybe), chiller, etc.