PDA

View Full Version : Does it REALLY have to be this HARD?!

rickbatey
23rd March 2012, 05:00 AM
Guys,
I was curious if you have those moments, day to day, that just frustrate you SO much? I mean, it doesn't have to be THIS hard! I struggle with techs that have NEVER seen an injection molding machine! Its not like they were doing extrusion or blow molding before!? But some of the people higher up think you can train the technology in days, not months!?
Granted, there are reams more info, exponentially more, than when many of us started. Not to mention websites like we have here (Thanks, Suhas!). I even have one guy that found 'I mould' for his Android powered phone as has downloaded it. BUT you can't drill a hole and pour it into their heads!
Heck, most of your techs are carrying mini-computers in their hands. But instead of putting notes in their phones, they are more worried about texting or checking their Facebook account!
Well enough of my rant.....Got to go bail out a guy that cn't remeber which valve gate is what! Hint, Check the text pages on the Engel for the layout!
'MAD' Rick.

Suhas
23rd March 2012, 07:09 AM
That is so right Rick. Some of the younger generation don't seem to bother much. Yes, you can't drill a hole and put it in there. I think smart phones should be banned at the work place.
I should not say much since I may have some of my customers reading this and I may get into trouble. :)

brentb
24th March 2012, 04:21 AM
Guys,
I was curious if you have those moments, day to day, that just frustrate you SO much? I mean, it doesn't have to be THIS hard! I struggle with techs that have NEVER seen an injection molding machine! Its not like they were doing extrusion or blow molding before!? But some of the people higher up think you can train the technology in days, not months!?
Granted, there are reams more info, exponentially more, than when many of us started. Not to mention websites like we have here (Thanks, Suhas!). I even have one guy that found 'I mould' for his Android powered phone as has downloaded it. BUT you can't drill a hole and pour it into their heads!
Heck, most of your techs are carrying mini-computers in their hands. But instead of putting notes in their phones, they are more worried about texting or checking their Facebook account!
Well enough of my rant.....Got to go bail out a guy that cn't remeber which valve gate is what! Hint, Check the text pages on the Engel for the layout!
'MAD' Rick.

Years ago,our mentors /tutors said the same things about us and were just as right! (except there was no internet and computers, and knowledge was hard to come by when molding was an art rather than a science (when I started)

Keep on Molding!
brent

Keep on Molding

brentb
24th March 2012, 05:37 AM
I have a guy that I sent to school, bought a book for and taught him everything I know, and he still doesn't know anything!

Keep on Molding
brent

rickbatey
27th March 2012, 05:22 AM
Brent and Suhas-Sometimes its the student, and not the teacher. We've all senn those folks you had to smarten up just to call stoopid!
It was another late night melt down, fueled by minimal sleep and my frustration at trying to train guys that don't have any experience; and they expect them to be world class in 2.6 weeks, not counting the week ends?!
Rick.

pjhall
27th March 2012, 08:14 PM
I had a yound kid I was trying to teach and he just contantly complained about not making enough money. I said "you were just a material handler a week ago! Learn this trade and the sky can be the limit. Give it a couple of years and you will have a basis for asking for more money. He did not head advice and left to go work in the kitchen of a local winery. Oh well....

brentb
28th March 2012, 02:01 AM
I had a yound kid I was trying to teach and he just contantly complained about not making enough money. I said "you were just a material handler a week ago! Learn this trade and the sky can be the limit. Give it a couple of years and you will have a basis for asking for more money. He did not head advice and left to go work in the kitchen of a local winery. Oh well....

Had an eager-beaver trainee. I used to tell him "you did well today, you deserve a raise"! His eyes would light up, then I would add, "but you are not getting one"!

Keep on molding (and hoping)

brent