PDA

View Full Version : Rugged/Dependable Presses

joeprocess
12th April 2017, 04:50 PM
We have an opportunity to add a few presses for a project that does not require super-precision, but will be pushing some higher shot sizes on thick walled parts (0.250" nominal.) Material HDPE/FR. The parts would run in the 500-650T press range.

Any thoughts on quality machines for this type of application? Would still like to stick with Electric presses.

rickbatey
13th April 2017, 03:34 AM
Joe I know electric machines had issues with long hold times and high holding pressures. I doubt that's the case any longer but you might want to talk about that upfront with your supplier. I'm an Engel guy but I'm sure the Japanese IMM's have a great all electric press too. BTW you won't need/use cores or valve gates will you? Cores and valve gates can be electric but a small pump for hydraulics or switching to pneumatic valve gates are options.
Rick.

joeprocess
13th April 2017, 01:27 PM
No cores, but one will be a stack mold. Others will be traditional hot runner molds. Krauss Maffei was mentioned. We run Toshibas and Toyos here.

brentb
13th April 2017, 01:42 PM
I second the Engel motion!

KOM

brent

chrisprocess
13th April 2017, 06:16 PM
In terms of service there's an Arburg guy locally so they've given us very good support. They'll stop by and give free training from time to time. Can't really beat that!

Two Krauss Maffei hydraulic presses in house - reliable and do their job. If you're molding parts that don't require super-precision might be the way to go in regards to budget. In fact corporate recently decided to order KM moving forward. (unfortunately for us because we have 100+ Arburg machines)
No complaints with KM. Though service isn't quite as good as Arburg in our region.

rickbatey
14th April 2017, 04:15 PM
I don't like the new C6 controller from KM. It's not so easy to create some sequences in the controller versus the Engel CC300. Plus the robot wizard on Engel puts everyone else to shame. Now I loved the old Toschibas and pretty much any Japanese press. I really liked some older hydraulic Niigata machines enough I'd look at them for electric machines. I think if you use robots then Engel tops them all as to their total integration between press and robot.
Rick.

chrisprocess
14th April 2017, 04:50 PM
One issue I have with the KM MC6 controller is there's no holding speed!! It hits switch-over and then screw position is solely controlled by pressure.

Okay someone would argue you don't need holding speed because you ramp your pressure to desired position/volume. But I don't care it's one less control feature.

If it were my plant and I had the $ I'd buy an Arburg:)

JayDub
17th April 2017, 02:18 PM
Not really the type of molding I'm familiar with, bit it seems to me if you put 'rugged', 'dependable', and 'stack-mold' in the same sentence, you should at least consider Husky - it is, after all, their target market niche.

iautry1973
17th April 2017, 04:10 PM
We had a 750 ton hydraulic Mitsubishi that wasn't bad. I have worked with a lot of Arburgs and liked them. Had the best luck with service from them. Their robots are super easy to program as well. I would stay away from Sumitomo. While the machines are pretty good the service is horrible. They have no clue what they are doing and I wait weeks or in some cases months for half baked answers.

rickbatey
18th April 2017, 01:54 AM
Jaydub-Husky is back to small high speed machines for pre-forms. I don't even know what they do as far as all electric goes. I know service is difficult due to no experience with Quadlock machines on their side!!
I'd look at Fanuc if the tonnage range is in their range of products. I really love their six-axis robots!!
Rick.