PDA

View Full Version : Injection Mold Machine Energy savings

Mike1960
6th April 2017, 05:38 PM
Does anyone have experience retro-fitting VFDs on older injection mold presses for energy savings. We have several Toshiba 610 ton machines that I would like to do this to. They have two 50 horse power motors. We mold 30% glass filled nylon seat frames. Cycle times are around 100-115 seconds with a long cooling period. These older machines are incredibly wasteful when it comes to electricity. Just reaching out to see if anyone has attempted this and were you successful? Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

brentb
7th April 2017, 01:27 PM
Yes,they started that in California, and had great success with long cycles.

KOM

brent

Mike1960
7th April 2017, 02:17 PM
Thank you Brent! Do you know what company did this. I would like to talk to them and get some details.

brentb
7th April 2017, 03:58 PM
'Twas back in the 90's, a water filter company that had relocated from Los Angeles to San Diego. A friend owned the company. It was later bought by a big {"hey blank man). corporation.
There was a big lawsuit involving filters cracking and flooding homes. Seem that the compounder substituted fillers for the PP and didn't tell anyone.
My friend had many old hydraulic presses and the PP housings were THICK and he really saved with the VFD units. Seems like the State of California gave some really big incentives for this.
He said that other California Molders with similar situations liked the units.
I did closures at 5 second cycles,so at the time there was no sense to use the units.

KOM

brent

Mike1960
7th April 2017, 06:43 PM
Thanks again for your input Brent. I am having a hard time calculating a return on investment for putting VFDs on our presses. That's the first question when you bring something like this to the bean counters. Whats the ROI??? That's why its really important to me to hear from others what their experience is with this. Like your friend with the polypro housings, our parts are big and thick also, and I think there is a lot of savings potential doing this.

brentb
10th April 2017, 01:12 PM
VFD maker can help calculate ROI

KOM

brent