PDA

View Full Version : Are TPE materials only for thin overmolds?

dave.golf
22nd November 2016, 02:49 AM
I am looking for an inexpensive way to produce a soft (Shore A 40) material that is about 3/8" thick in the shape of a 1" radius hemisphere. It would not be an overmold. It seems many (most?) TPE applications are overmolds.

Is this kind of piece practical for a thermoplastic elastomer like SBS (Styrene-Butadiene-Styrene)?

Do most plastics molding companies handle TPE?

Are the mold costs similar to regular ABS plastic parts (something with which I have some experience)?

Thanks,
Dave

brentb
22nd November 2016, 01:29 PM
That thick would be s slow cycle. Contact GLS (Polyone) they can help you!

KOM

brent

JayDub
22nd November 2016, 05:33 PM
I can foresee the same problems you would have with any 3/8” thick part – cosmetics (flow lines, sink, voids). The one additional problem – which may affect tool cost – is trying to eject something that soft. I molded a gasket from SEBS years ago, but we peeled it off the tool by hand.

dave.golf
23rd November 2016, 03:58 AM
I can foresee the same problems you would have with any 3/8” thick part – cosmetics (flow lines, sink, voids). The one additional problem – which may affect tool cost – is trying to eject something that soft. I molded a gasket from SEBS years ago, but we peeled it off the tool by hand.

Got it. If the thickness is reduced to 0.175" would it be feasible? I am attaching a diagram of the simple piece.

brentb
23rd November 2016, 01:54 PM
That is better, still slow, but feasible, I think!

Jay,

I did a lot of hand peeling too!

KOM

brent