PDA

View Full Version : Injection molded applications made from repro HIPS

warchambault
11th November 2016, 04:23 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm quite to the plastics industry, but was hoping to get your insight on different types of applications/products that could be made with repro HIPS. I've done some research, and have found a few products, like core plugs and reels, but other than that, I'm stuck.

Considering your expertise in injection molding, I'd like need your help with the following:

1) What types of resins have similar specifications/characteristics to HIPS and be replaced by it?
2) What applications have you seen in the past where its core material was HIPS?

I appreciate your help and thanks for having me on this forum!

Will

iautry1973
15th November 2016, 07:06 PM
My experience with it is make sure you have a good supplier. Had to many foreign objects in the reground material that we were asked to use to make it worth it for us at that plant. Management wanted us to use what we affectionately called the "granola mix" in a hot runner mold. Needless to say we were cleaning out hot tips constantly. The only regrind material that I have had great success with is 1st generation at 100% in some products. It was all in house regrind (at a different plant) so we knew where it came from and were careful to not contaminate it.

warchambault
15th November 2016, 07:31 PM
@iautry1973,

Thanks for the response. What products did you make with the regrind?

Have you ever had an issue with smelly repro material?

iautry1973
16th November 2016, 03:47 PM
The HIPS we used was for ammunition trays. The other products were a fault indicator housing in 100% reground PC and a transducer housing in 100% reground PC/ABS with 10% stainless steel fill. Never had an issue with smelly regrind. Dust however was some what of an issue.