PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen Sealing

Jason S.
23rd September 2016, 01:19 PM
Does anyone have any experience using nitrogen to seal feed throats. I have been tossing the idea around to help slow degradation in the barrel. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason.

brentb
23rd September 2016, 01:26 PM
Does anyone have any experience using nitrogen to seal feed throats. I have been tossing the idea around to help slow degradation in the barrel. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason.

I don't know what you mean by " sealing" but do use nitrogen in feed throat area of hopper (mini-Motan dryer) for bioresorbable implant device resins. This to slow oxidation of the resin.

KOM

brent

Jason S.
23rd September 2016, 01:32 PM
Thanks Brent,

That just shows my in experience with it. One material we plan to run is ZEONEX, this is where the idea came about for me because in their literature they recommend "nitrogen sealing the feed throat". It appears to me that we are talking about the same thing. My main concern is how much nitrogen do we use and what's the best method. More specifically should I use a nitrogen generator, or is bottled nitrogen better?

Squirter
4th November 2016, 12:20 AM
I have run this material before. In my situation we fitted a plate with a feed throat orifice underneath the hopper slider. The plate had a small hole drilled horizontally in it from the outside into the feed throat area. The supply of nitrogen gas was connected to the sandwich plate by polyamide tubing (6mm dia), taken from a flow regulator set at 3 L/min, which could be visually monitored. The nitrogen pressure was regulated to 3 bar and was provided by a nitrogen generator. Whether to use bottled nitrogen or a generator will be down to cost and convenience.

brentb
4th November 2016, 01:33 PM
I have run this material before. In my situation we fitted a plate with a feed throat orifice underneath the hopper slider. The plate had a small hole drilled horizontally in it from the outside into the feed throat area. The supply of nitrogen gas was connected to the sandwich plate by polyamide tubing (6mm dia), taken from a flow regulator set at 3 L/min, which could be visually monitored. The nitrogen pressure was regulated to 3 bar and was provided by a nitrogen generator. Whether to use bottled nitrogen or a generator will be down to cost and convenience.

Agree with Squirts! We use same methodology but with cylinder, as quantities are small.

KOM

brent

2theta
16th March 2018, 10:29 PM
I'm looking to get some parts manufactured from Zeonex K26R - it seems like running the injection molding without nitrogen sealing is a no-go. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer that will do injection molded sheets from this resin? Haven't been successful thus far finding someone.